My list of resources:
1. Human capital in the form of people who can supply to me knowledge
2. Computer to develop application
3. Knowledge of campus layout
4. My knowledge of app development and computer programming
5. Money
6. Group of friends to test my application and get feedback
7. Potential partners
8. Information and feedback from customers
9. Somewhat close connection to construction company
10. Network with successful multimillionaire business man
VRIN Analysis of Resources:
1. These people include the people I described in the social capital exercise. They are valuable because they are already successful entrepreneurs themselves, they are rare because I am a close friend with them, they are inimitable because it took a lot of time to get to know them on a personal level, but they are substitutable because they are not the only knowledgeable people that exist.
2. It is not necessarily valuable because you can have free access at the library, they are also not rare in today's day and age, it is easily copied, and there are many substitutes. This is probably not my most valuable resource.
3. It is valuable because I can utilize where the best places for parking are, it is not necessarily rare because everyone has access to it, it is easily copied, but there is no substitute because the campus remains unchanged.
4. It is valuable because it is something that takes time to learn, it is rare because not many people have this specific skill set, it is only copied in the way that other people can code my app for me, but would increase costs and decrease my level of control, and it is non-substitutable because programming is used specifically for coding apps.
5. Money is valuable because it will be used in almost every aspect of the business, it is rare only in the sense that having enough money will be hard to come by, it is easily copied because money can be used for everything, however, there are also no substitutes for it.
6. They are valuable because they can tell me what is right and wrong about my app, they are not rare because anybody I come across could be willing to test my app, they are easily copied, and there are many substitutes for them, including people that I interview / pay to test my app for me.
7. Potential partners are valuable because they bring specific skill sets and ideas to the table, good partners are rare because not everybody knows what they are doing, they are easily copied because anyone can be a partner, they are substitutable because there are a lot of people that can be my potential partner, although I would rather chose a close friend that I could trust with finances and responsible decision making.
8. Information and feedback from customers is incredibly important because it tells me what is good about my service and what needs to change, especially since these are the people that I am going to be selling to. They are rare only in the sense that I would have to find people that would actually want to utilize my service, and that does not include everybody. They are inimitable and have no substitutes because these are the people that I would particularly be targeting with my business.
9. This is valuable because certain changes to the parking would need to take place. This is rare in the sense that I could get potential discounts just because I am a close friend of this person. It is imitable, however, because there are many construction companies out there. There are also many substitutes.
10. This is very powerful and valuable because money is the driving force of any business. This is rare as well because not many people are close friends with already successful entrepreneurs. This resource is inimitable in the sense that it takes years to befriend somebody. There are also no substitutes for this resource.
Most Valuable Resource:
4. My knowledge of app development and computer programming.
I think that this is my most valuable resource because it is something that I spent years learning how to do. With this knowledge, I will be able to have complete control over the app that I create associated with the service I plan on offering. This will also allow me to cut down on costs. The most important aspect of this resource is the ability to have complete control over the design process of my business.
I definitely agree that a background in developing apps/ computer programming is really valuable for what you want to get into. I also see great value in you already being friends with someone with lots of money. With that they might be willing to lend you money to help get started or even maybe want to become business partners with you. Overall it seems like you have a valuable pool of resources that can make your venture successful.
ReplyDeleteWhile looking at your resources I’ve noticed that you have different kinds of knowledge or ways to get knowledge listed, you even listed you have a group of friends that can provide you feedback which is yet another form of knowledge. So, it seems to me that you are going to be well informed and will end up knowing a lot about certain areas of your business so I know you will do well.
ReplyDeleteOut of all your unfair advantages, I think I can concede that one of your points out does the entirety of mine: Customer Feedback. The inclusion if it is make or break, but it is often overlooked across a broad-ranged failures when marketing or beginning the process of opening a business, but the fact you admit to needing it straight away marks your advantage as being as unfair as possible.
ReplyDelete