1. The general argument of the book is that there are two types of people: there are people who have a fixed mindset and just take whatever is given to them and never achieve anything excellent in life, and then there are people with a growing mindset who can constantly expand on new ideas and opportunities and exploit them. Dweck argues that all people should adapt the latter, which is essential if anyone wants to reach a level of success that they are striving for.
2. I think that this book greatly builds upon the idea of "tenacity" that we have covered in class. I think that having a mindset and actually doing something requiring effort are two different things entirely, but the two ideas support each other. First a person must be able to have a growing mindset, and then they actually have to act on their desires in order to achieve their goals. It also goes to show how having a proper mindset is essential to having a successful business, which is what this class is mostly about.
3. If I had to design an exercise for this class based on the book that I read, I would split the class into two groups of students. I would then ask both groups to complete a particular assignment. Secretly, I would limit one group to a specific set of resources, while the other group I would allow unlimited access to all forms of resources. At the end of the assignment, the two groups would have to present the solutions that they came up with. Naturally, the group with more resources should do better, which would resemble and simulate the concept this book was about, and differentiate about how much somebody could achieve with a fixed mindset versus a growing mindset.
4. The biggest aha moment for me was that reading this book, not only does it apply to the entrepreneurial aspect of life, but the idea of having a growing mindset can be applied to almost every area of life. Although it is beneficial to having a growing mindset when attempting to create and maintain a successful business, one must also have a growing mindset in other aspects of life. It is often what one already does or habits they portray that are then reflected into their work ethic and will determine just how successful their business will be overall.
I feel that you put much detail and effort into reading one of the books on the reading list. I found your claim on how the book by Dweck about mindset regarding tenacity was what you chose to talk about how we learned about it in class. Lastly, I found your aha moment about a mindset being applied to everyday life is a fascinating piece of information.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Dweck argues on how a growing mindset is essential if anyone wants to reach a high level of success since the world is always changing and new ideas and opportunities come up all the time and the people who exploit them always come out more successful. I like the idea of the exercise how it represents the concept which I think would be an interesting assignment to see at the end.
ReplyDeleteWhile I have never read this book, I find your description of it very interesting. I agree that having a fixed mindset is detrimental to growth and success in any way, and the thing that all successful people have in common is that they have a growing mindset that is highly adaptable. It's important to keep your mind open and be adaptable to get to and stay on top of changing times.
ReplyDeleteYour synopsis of this book was a very interesting read, especially to someone like myself who is unfamiliar with this book. The drive, or rather "tenacity" you describe the root of this book's theme and actions resonate well with the energy that entrepreneurs like us need to utilize to compose an idea and be successful within our own markets.
ReplyDelete