Existing Market
1. In terms of products and services that my business offers, I think that my next venture would be to target other Universities around the nation that have the same problem. With this, I would have to expand my resources exponentially, and this would only be possible if my first market at UF is a success and I am able to turn over a lot of revenue as profits to put back into resources.
2. The first student that I interviewed said that instead of simply targeting students at the University, I should also expand and reach out the staff members, teachers, and people that are visiting the campus. They said that I would have more potential customers if I were to do this and make even more money. The second student that I interviewed said that I should potentially try to expand to more than just Universities. They said that my services could also be applied to other places, such as theme parks and movie theaters on days in which they are busy and it can be difficult to find parking. The third student that I interviewed shared a similar opinion with the first, but said that I should also maybe try and target people who already went out of their way to purchase a scooter, and maybe could offer them a similar service, also expanding my market.
3. I think that based on my interviews, all three students shared really good ideas. For me, I think that I would like to stick primarily with students at this moment in time because I do not want my market to get over saturated with too many customers and a limited amount of space. Also, professors and staff already have designated parking spaces, so I think they would not need to utilize my service. i thought that the movie theater and theme park idea was interesting and that could be a potential area of expansion, but it would be harder to break into. The third idea was also interesting, and I could target people who have a scooter, but I would have to figure out whether it is worth the time and money or not.
New Market
1. And interesting concept would be a B2B market, in which instead of targeting customers (the students) I could target the Universities themselves and offer them my service as a way for them to deliver to the students on campus. If this was possible, then they would be in charge of creating new spaces and would greatly cut back on my costs and resources needed to achieve a similar goal.
2. My service would create value because it would be essentially doing the same thing. I would merely have to offer the technology via the University, and they could use my technology to offer the same service but through a more established business. Because of this, I would have lower costs and resources needed, but the University would also get a cut in my business so I would also be making less revenue overall. I would have to figure out the numbers to determine whether this would be beneficial to my success or not.
3. The two potential customers that I interviewed shared very similar opinions. They both said that it would be a really good idea, because through an established business model such as the university, I would have a greater outreach. They said that they are far more likely to purchase my service through the legitimate university website rather than a company that they have never heard of before. This adaptation would make my service more successful merely for the fact that I would have a greater amount of customers than before, therefore earning higher revenue.
Step 4 / Reflection:
For the most part, the assumptions that I made were affirmed after conducting interviews with potential customers. I had assumed that if I were to offer the service being the technology and application to the university, they could then redistribute my service to the students. This would lead to greater outreach and overall higher profits. However, I would have to split the revenues with the university, but overall it would be beneficial to me as a entrepreneur.
I think that this new market is even more attractive than my original proposed business plan. This would not only increase my revenue, but it could potentially change the way that parking is handled around the nation. On top of this, if I were to expand to other campuses around the United States, I would be marginally more successful with this business concept than the one that I proposed previously.
When it comes to expanding your product, I will have to agree with you on how you plan to target other universities because it is the truth that there are other places that have a parking problem. Since there are students from across the country who do go to different colleges that might have the same problem with parking, they could benefit from your service. Although it is safe to point that some colleges might not have it as bad as others.
ReplyDeleteI think you got valuable insights from the people you interviewed on how to expand your market in the future. This is definitely expandable into other universities, and I think you should start with only one university and figure things out first and solve any problems that come up. After starting up and some of the initial problems are fixed, your service is definitely scalable to be used in universities around the country. You can definitely make a lot more profit by doing this, which is great for your business.
ReplyDeleteI think sticking with students, in the beginning, is a good choice and expanding to other campuses, but I think theme parks and big places like those that have lots of parking and lots of visitors could benefit from the idea and could you gain more money. I also think offering it to the universities is a good idea since you would lower the costs and resources.
ReplyDeleteThe idea of taking away an entrepreneurs independence with respect to both their profit and business goings is always a scary thought. In consideration of the fact your secondary/new market audience suggests you collaborating with university technology to expand your business horizons, there is both good and bad that could come of this decision, but overall such a suggestion needs the consideration its owed.
ReplyDelete