The main opportunity that is associated with my venture concept is to meet the unmet needs of UF students around campus. The unmet need that my service is targeted towards is finding available parking spots around campus. The problem is that UF students who have vehicles at campus have trouble finding available parking spaces, and often leads to a lot of stress and a lot of wasted time when they do go out to find a spot, if there are any available. The problem also reaches out to students who currently use scooters to get around campus, because they were forced to purchase one in order to get around campus, and hopefully my service will make it so that they will be able to avoid another major purchase just so that they can find parking efficiently. Changes in environment that create this opportunity are increases in population. With increases in population, parking doesn’t and therefore it becomes harder to find spots. Geographically and demographically, this need extends mainly to UF students who are currently living on campus, since they will be the main group facing the problem. Currently these students are satisfying their needs through two options: either by utilizing bus services or by purchasing a scooter. Through this, they are loyal either to the RTS bus system or companies that sell scooters respectively. This opportunity is not as big as it could be, maybe extending to possibly 30,000 – 40,000 potential customers at the current time. This window of opportunity should be available for as long as the University of Florida remains open.
The
main innovation that would be incorporated would be consisted of two parts. The
first part would be creating new parking room around campus. There are many
spots that are underutilized that could be better used if parking spaces were
created. An example would be the Broward Parking garage, which is relatively
close to where I live. Currently, it is only available to certain people, such
as teachers or staff during the day. Because of this, at many times during the
day the garage is relatively empty when many students could be using that
parking space. This part would generate no profits whatsoever and would merely
be the first step into creating a successful business opportunity. For the
second part, the part that would make me profit, I would mark certain parking
places for “premium members”. Basically, my service would allow students to pay
an upcharge of $75 a semester to have access to these parking spaces.
Approximately 50% of these spaces would be marked for premium students. On top
of this, I would have an app that “premium members” can utilize to figure out
which parking spots around campus are open. I would offer other options, such
as premium for a week for $10, and premium for a month for $25. Overall, I
would want to force students to purchase the $75 package because it is the best
deal and would generate the highest profit at no extra cost. This would be how
I would make my main source of revenues and profits.
The
innovation of premium parking spaces via using an app available to students
would be the venture that would solve the problem and work together with my
opportunity. Basically, it would solve the needs of the students listed above
at a relatively low cost. Customers will purchase my innovation simply for the
fact that it will reduce stress and will make them feel more comfortable using
their car around campus. Students who have purchased a car already or are
currently paying for their own gasoline or insurance should really have no
extra problem buying premium parking memberships simply because the price point
that I am offering is marginally below the cost of owning and maintaining a
car. Personally, I would be willing to cash out $75 for a semester of
hassle-free parking, and many of the people that I interviewed agree with me
throughout the process. A reason that people would be willing to switch to my
service is because it is cheaper to pay $75 a semester or $600 for their
extended time at UF than to go out of their way to purchase a scooter for $1000+.
Because of this, I believe that it may be easy to get new customers to switch
to my service, especially if they are new incoming students who were previously
thinking about purchasing a scooter. The main competitors would be the RTS bus
system and companies that sell scooters. The weakness of the RTS system is that
waiting for the correct bus and then actually getting to the destination that
you are trying to go is often a hassle and not worth the time or effort. The
weakness of scooter companies is that their products that they are offering are
almost at double the price point of what I am offering. On top of this, many
students already own their own cars. Business location, customer experience,
and price point play the biggest role in my service, because these are the main
areas that I am targeting to satisfy the needs of my customers. I would have
relatively few employees: I would need people for customer support via the app,
people to handle accounting, and people to paint and maintain the parking spaces
for my company.
My
most important resource and secret sauce would be our incredible customer
support. I want to offer my customers the best possible experience so that they
will be more willing to maintain their loyalty and support. The next step of the
venture would be to extend to other university campuses around the nation,
because I am sure there are many other places that have similar issues to UF.
Finally, in 5 years all my customers should be satisfied with their results and
we should expand and be nationwide. I will take my experiences and skill sets to
other technological based businesses that can help people all around the world.
Word Count: 999
I totally agree that when someone on this campus has a vehicle it can be near impossible to find a parking space, the problem is even worse during move in days or some UF holidays. For this business I feel that it would take some time to start because like you previously mentioned a new parking space will need to be built before this service can start up, so its recommended to get started as soon a possible.
ReplyDeleteThe innovation aspect of your Venture Opportunity is quite interesting. I think that something marketed as being premium at any college campus would be seen as "poshy" or uber wealthy, but the inclusion of the app and the price-point of the service being so low will lend itself well to your business opportunity, and is in fact very innovative.
ReplyDelete